This policy was created on 1 November 2014.
Important: By submitting personal data to us and/or by using our website you give your consent that all personal data that you submit may be processed by us in the manner and for the purposes described below.
We are continually improving our methods of communication and adding new functionality and features to this website and to our existing services. Because of these ongoing changes, changes in the law and the changing nature of technology, our data protection practices will change from time to time. If and when our data practices change, we will notify you. We encourage you to check this page frequently.
Collection of personal data including email addresses
You may choose to receive advice, additional information or services from us. When you contact or instruct us, we request personal information about you such as your name, postal address, email address and telephone number as well as information required to verify your identity for money laundering purposes. We may also ask for demographic information to enable us to provide a personalised service to you. The information you provide is either manually or electronically stored. We sometimes supplement that information with information that is received from third parties. For instance, if inaccurate postal or zip codes are received, we may use third party software to fix them.
Use of personal data
We will use your personal data to fulfil your instructions and requirements and we will ask only for data that is adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes. Where we send you information for any purpose, it may be sent by email or post. When we ask you for personal data it may be for any of the following purposes:
- to provide our services and other information to you
- to contact you to inform you of our services or events
- to send you regular updates on issues we think will be of interest to you
- to use your personal data in connection with and arising from your job application as more detailed later in this policy
- to send you requested information on our people and services
- to use your personal data in connection with your access to information and materials on our website
- to use your personal data for marketing purposes and market research
- to administer this website and help us improve our services
- to use your personal data in relation to or arising from our events, publications and webinars
- to issue invoices, manage accounts and records, and collection of payments and debts.
We hope you will be pleased with our information and services. However, if you do not wish to receive emails from us and want to be removed from our electronic mailing list, please email us at the address given below with 'email unsubscribe' in the subject heading.
If you also wish to be removed from our postal marketing database, please let us know by emailing us at the address given below with 'mail unsubscribe' in the subject heading or writing to us at the address given below.
You may unsubscribe by emailing [email protected] or writing to Marketing Department, Charles Russell Speechlys LLP, 5 Fleet Place, London, EC4M 73D.
Anonymous data collected through this website
In addition to the information we collect as described above, we use technology to collect anonymous information about the use of our website. For example, our web server automatically logs which pages of our website our visitors view, their IP addresses and which web browsers they use. This technology does not personally identify you - it simply enables us to compile statistics about our visitors and their use of our website.
Our website contains hyperlinks to other pages on our website. We may use technology to track how often these links are used and which pages on our website our visitors choose to view. Again this technology does not identify you personally – it simply enables us to compile statistics about the use of these hyperlinks.
Cookies and similar technologies
In order to collect the anonymous data described in the preceding paragraph, we may use cookie technology on our website.
A cookie is a small piece of information which is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive, mobile phone or other device. Cookies do not damage your computer.
You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. This enables you to decide if you want to accept it or not. However, some of the services and features offered through our website may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
We use two types of cookies on our website:
- Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided. They are deleted when you close the browser.
- Performance cookies
These cookies collect information in an anonymous form about how visitors use our website. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the site when they are using it.
We may also use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, to administer our website and to improve the service we offer to you. An IP address is a numeric code that identifies your computer on a network, or in this case, the internet. Your IP address might also be used to gather broad demographic information.
We may perform IP lookups to determine which domain you are coming from (ie aol.com, yourcompany.com) to more accurately gauge our users' demographics.
Information from these types of cookies and technologies or about website usage is not combined with information about you from any other source.
None of the cookies or technologies that we use will personally identify you.
To comply with current legislation, we need to ask for your consent to set the performance cookies described above. When you arrive on our website a pop-up message will appear asking for your consent to place performance cookies on your device. In order to provide your consent, please click ‘continue’. Once your consent has been provided, this message will not appear again when you revisit. If you, or another user of your computer, wish to withdraw your consent at any time, you can do so by altering your browser settings.
Disclosure and transfer of your personal data
- In order to provide you with the information or services which you have requested, personal data may occasionally be transferred or shared with our nominee or trust companies, and other professionals or third parties who act for or with us, for further processing in accordance with the purposes for which the data was originally collected or for purposes to which you have consented. For example, sometimes a third party may have access to your personal data in order to support our information technology or to handle document production, communications or events on our behalf.
- Where you have consented, we may also disclose your personal data to other businesses who may contact you about their services that may interest you.
- We may share, transfer or disclose the information in our databases and server logs to comply with a legal requirement, for the administration of justice, interacting with anti-fraud databases, to protect your vital interests, to protect the security or integrity of our databases or this website, to take precautions against legal liability, or in the event of a joint venture, collaboration, financing, sale, merger, reorganisation, change of legal form, dissolution or similar event.
- We may share, transfer or disclose your personal data to a potential or actual successor to us.
- Where appropriate, before disclosing personal data to a third party, we contractually require the third party to take adequate precautions to protect that personal data and to comply with applicable law.
- We may disclose or transfer your personal data to a third party in countries outside the European Economic Area for further processing in accordance with the purposes for which your personal data were originally collected or for purposes to which you have consented. In these circumstances we will ensure that your rights are adequately protected by technical and contractual means.
Data access and corrections
Upon receipt of your written request and enough information to permit us to identify your personal data, we will disclose to you the personal data we hold about you, for which we may make a charge up to the maximum as allowed by applicable law. We will also correct, amend or delete any personal data that is inaccurate and notify any third party recipients of the necessary changes. You may update any information you have given to us by contacting us at the addresses given at the end of this policy.
Requests to delete personal data are subject to any applicable legal and ethical reporting or document retention obligations imposed on us.
Links to other websites
Online application form
This website offers you the possibility to apply online for a training contract with us. To do so you will need to fill in an online application form which will provide us with personal data relating to your education, previous employment and other general information relevant to our decision to offer you a position or necessary for the purposes of contacting you in connection with that position. This information is only used to enable us to decide whether to proceed with your application.
As part of the application process you may be given the opportunity to complete an equal opportunities monitoring form. Information on this form is used to ensure we maintain our commitment to being an equal opportunities employer. You are entitled to refuse to complete the form. Please note that whether or not you complete the form will have no influence whatsoever on the outcome of your application. If you do provide the information, it will not be used for any purpose other than equal opportunities monitoring. The form is submitted to us separately from your application form.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, whose rules and principles governing solicitors' conduct are available at