Strategic land is a long game with different approaches to suit a landowner’s appetite for risk, need to generate cash and wish to control the look and feel of the developed scheme.
With larger schemes involving more than one landowner, you will need to consider how you structure the delivering of the scheme working with your neighbours while mitigating tax.
Our strategic land legal expertise
Our strategic land team offers an expert one-stop service to landowners, promoters and developers of sites, helping you plan for and realise maximum value from land with potential for strategic development.
At all stages we focus on your needs to deliver structures which are individually tailored to meet your requirements.
Our team operates within one of the largest private client practices in a UK law firm and one of the largest real estate teams in the country. Our breadth and quality of specialist services across the firm gives us the ability to offer a one-stop service.
We act for over 100 estates and for both individual and institutional landowners in relation to sites across the country. We have extensive knowledge and experience in guiding landowners through the options available and can assist with your negotiations to achieve the best deal and deliver a solution which maximises value and tax efficiency.
We can guide you every step of the way.
Step 1: Planning Phase
- Land pooling arrangements for multiple landowners
- Analysis of existing options and land interests
- Dealing with title issues including easements, wayleaves, restrictive covenants and indemnity insurance
- Advice on planning strategy applications, negotiating s106 agreements, advising on community infrastructure levy and project management of planning appeals
- Tax planning including minimising liabilities and maximising reliefs
Step 2: Disposal Strategy
- Promotion agreements
- Hybrid agreements
- Development and collaboration agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Overage agreements
Step 3: Delivery
- Negotiations and bespoke documentation
- Construction and infrastructure matters
- Negotiating infrastructure agreements and planning compliance
- Dispute resolution
- Delivery of vacant possession
- Completion and ongoing management
We can work with you from the outset to help you understand the best structure for your land to reflect your needs. We are experienced in working with promoters and house builders and understand their commercial drivers, allowing us to ensure that terms are agreed which work for both parties and more importantly that your interests are protected.