At Charles Russell Speechlys, we advise leading brands on a variety of advertising, marketing and sponsorship issues.
Our team has a genuine understanding of media activation and the needs of brands in pursuing marketing activity. Crucially, we understand how the regulatory environment affects brands’ advertising messages and have advised a number of clients on their advertising and sponsorship campaigns.
Our clients benefit from our ability to provide a full range of advice, including:
- advising on brand partnership and sponsorship agreements
- agreements to facilitate delivery of advertising & marketing activities, including with creative agencies, media buying agencies, developers and talent
- advising on digital activations, including the interaction between marketing and technology eg social media and viral campaigns
- compliance under the CAP and BCAP Codes, sales promotion and direct marketing, including pre-publication/pre-transmission clearance
- compliance applicable only to advertising in regulated environments, ambush marketing, outdoor and ambient advertising, advertising to children
- compliance aspects of competitions and giveaways, including wider consumer law elements
- compliance with event/experience based activations, such as pop up events
- consumer protection, defamation, intellectual property clearances and use of personal data
- contentious and litigious advice, including complaints handling with the Advertising Standards Authority and Information Commissioner.
News & Insights
TV ads: is it a qualification or is it a contradiction?
A recent decision by the ASA held that a gambling advertisement was misleading where a qualification to the offer was included on screen
Charles Russell Speechlys launches new product to support retail start-ups
The Attention to Retail Toolkit aims to support start-ups and help them reduce the risk of something going wrong as their business grows.
Brands and influencers — benefits and pitfalls
How can brands best use ‘influencers’ to promote their product? Caroline Swain considers the rise influencers and related legal issues.
125,000,000 reasons for Ben Stokes (and other sports stars) to focus on morality clauses
An overview of the typical ‘morality clauses’ which brands seek to include in endorsement deals.