Farms, rural businesses and landed estates face age-old challenges relating to succession, death and divorce.
However, they also face new challenges which range from new taxes (and reform of old taxes) to the changing economic environment. These challenges are often little different from those faced by owners of other private, multi-faceted and labour intensive businesses.
The Charles Russell Speechlys Rural Business & Landed Estates group acts for a broad spectrum of land owning clients, from the farmer client looking to consolidate his business and to reduce his Inheritance Tax exposure, to diverse, multi-business landed estates. They have many common concerns but these will be set against distinctive personal and family backdrops. Our role is to understand these and tailor our advice accordingly. Above all else we pride ourselves on being practical and commercial.
We provide our clients with a full range of services. These include:
- conveyancing for the purchase or sale of land, country houses, cottages and estates
- agricultural law
- tax efficient-management of heritage assets
- tax and estate planning, including advising on Wills, Powers of Attorney and planning using trusts, be those new or existing ones, and alternative vehicles to trusts such as partnerships
- development planning for land where there is or there is the potential for planning permission and development, together with specialist land promotion and planning teams
- family law advice for when relationships break down
- structuring (or re-structuring) of land holdings to support current or new business practices, and to plan for the transfer to the next generation, and
- employment law and litigation advice with a particular emphasis on the concerns and experiences of the rural community.
We provide a sympathetic, commercial and highly experienced approach to dealing with the farming, rural and landed estate communities. The Charles Russell Speechlys team has been advising these communities for generations.
News & Insights
29 lawyers ranked in Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2017
We performed extremely well and received some fantastic feedback from clients and contacts.
Wealth Matters - Summer 2017
Welcome to the Summer 2017 edition of Wealth Matters, our regular publication for UK-based private clients.