Art and valuable luxury assets are a passion but also an increasingly important asset class for individuals and families looking to diversify their wealth.
Our specialist Art Group is immersed in the art world. We understand its complexities and sensitivities and how to navigate the challenges and opportunities it presents. Our lawyers have wide expertise and unrivalled experience in representing clients in this fascinating arena.
We assist clients across the spectrum of the creative world from emerging and street artists through to governments and antiquities. Our lawyers are recognised for their long experience and accomplishment in this field and have been involved in many of the art world’s most important issues.
Our specialist Art Group is able to integrate market leading capabilities from across the firm both domestically and internationally.
Our recent client experience includes:
- representing consignors with auctioneers and dealers;
- acting for artists on copyright, moral rights, image rights/endorsements and artist resale rights;
- acting for street artists;
- advising artists on protecting their oeuvre and legacy;
- buying and selling very high value luxury assets;
- acting for philanthropists/charities involved in the art world;
- financing, guarantees and lending of artworks and collectables;
- tax and estate planning advice incorporating artworks and high value chattels including trusts, charitable donations, gifts and legacies;
- disputes over cultural heritage, underwater cultural heritage and treasure;
- disputes on provenance, authenticity and ownership and establishing title;
- acting for dealers in resolving issues;
- the protection of assets during family disputes;
- merchandising and commercial exploitation agreements; and
- representing clients involved with other collectables including classic cars, jewellery, wine and yachts.
News & Insights
Street artists paint legal victory
The US Court upheld judgement against a developer confirming that his destruction of graffiti murals violated the Visual Artists Rights Act.