The nursery school and nursery day-care sector in the UK is worth around £4 billion a year.
An estimated 23,500 day nurseries employ over 188,000 people and offer more than 1,000,000 childcare places. It is growing fast - but with high standards imposed by legislation as well as demanding parents, funding is vital to succeed.
All day nurseries will be registered with Ofsted but can be run by private individuals, community groups, commercial businesses or private equity. We act for the whole range of operators and have extensive contacts with brokers, valuers, financiers and acquisitive groups in the sector.
Why work with us?
Our specialist team of nursery sector experts is led by partner Helen Wong. Helen has advised on numerous transactions in the sector in the last 20 years and is recognised as a leader in her field, working with a wide range of operators from some of the largest in the market to family-owned groups of nurseries and specialist service providers.
Helen and her team can advise you on both strategic transactions and day-to-day operational matters. Examples of their recent experience includes working with both nurseries and investors on:
- Corporate transactions – buying and selling of nurseries (both share and asset deals), the reorganisation of nursery groups and the negotiation of joint ventures between operators.
- Property matters – liaising with landlords, planning and development of existing and new build nurseries, acquiring and disposing of leaseholds and freeholds and sub-letting.
- Financial considerations – working with banks and funders to review facility agreements and security documents, securing financing for businesses and debt collection matters.
- Staffing requirements – advising operators on changes to UK employment and immigration law, redundancy matters, disciplinary procedures and Employment Tribunal claims.
- Commercial contracts – negotiating, reviewing and enforcing contracts and drafting standard terms for use with suppliers, customers and other counterparties and advising on the data protection rules that apply to nurseries.
- Regulation – liaising with Ofsted to register your nursery and compliance with audits, inspections and enforcement actions as well as dealing with any disputes with Local Authorities.
Helen and her team draw on the support of our firm wide expertise covering Corporate, Employment, Real Estate, Commercial and Banking and Finance law. Our cross-practice approach to the sector can help you to successfully achieve your commercial and strategic objectives quickly and cost-efficiently.
During and post COVID-19, nurseries large and small have been affected. We have been assisting with a whole range of legal services from selling/buying a nursery, refinancing a site, employment law issues in particular with furloughing staff, negotiating with the landlord in respect of rents and leases and reviewing terms and conditions to assist nurseries be as financially robust as possible. We have put together a series of webinars to help operators and those in the nursery industry to understand what others are doing pre-during-post COVID-19.
News & Insights
Charles Russell Speechlys advises on sale of dental practice Feltham Dental
Feltham Dental was established in 1982, the business is an integral part of the community and has many generations of loyal patients.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises CareTech on the acquisition of Smartbox
Smartbox is a market-leading creator of software and hardware that helps disabled people without speech to live more independently.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Wimbledon NeuroCare and Ascot Rehabilitation on the acquisition of a healthcare diagnostic centre
Both Ascot Rehab and Wimbledon NeuroCare provide high quality rehabilitation services for people with neurological conditions.