Working within the Finance department, the role of Revenue Controller will be working as part of a busy Revenue and Credit Control team, supporting a dedicated legal division with their revenue, billing and credit control processed and responsibility for managing their Working Capital, to include WIP and Debt.
There are c.67 employees in the Finance team based across London, Cheltenham, and Hong Kong, and it is divided into four key areas:
• Reporting and Analysis (including Management Accounts, Business Intelligence, Financial Control and Business Partnering teams)
• Financial Systems
• Accounts Payable and Cashiers; and
• Revenue, Pricing and Credit Control
Roles and Responsibilities
• Regular review of aged work in progress and meeting with designated partners to ensure this is effectively managed and department budgets are met.
• Working with department heads to gather accurate monthly billing forecasts.
• Being first point of contact for one of the firms four legal business divisions.
• Producing reports and analysis of billable time as/when required to respond to requests from clients for additional information.
• Reviewing and updating WIP provision on a monthly basis.
• Assisting with the preparation of spreadsheets for the valuation of work in progress in accordance with FRS5
• Ensuring that missing timesheets are promptly identified and chased.
• Ensuring that temporary time entries are promptly resolved and charged to the appropriate file.
• Ensuring edits and time transfers are properly authorised and accurately processed.
• Prompt and accurate production of all bills submitted for processing.
• Ensuring the accurate processing of all write offs of unbillable time and disbursements and that all such requests are properly authorised in accordance with the firm’s authorisation limits as they might apply from time to time.
• Ensuring that all bills submitted for processing comply with all relevant VAT and Solicitor Account Rule.
• Ensuring that all bills are sent out as soon as possible after they have been processed.
• Preparing full and partial credit notes.
• Taking responsibility for all outstanding debts of assigned business division.
• Pro-actively chasing clients by telephone and other means of communication to ensure invoices are promptly settled.
• Keeping in regular contact with Partners and Fee Earners to ensure that they are following up on the queries as required.
• Identifying and escalating potential problem debts to the Head of Revenue and Pricing.
• Producing statements and reminder letters.
• Reviewing and updating bad debt provision on a monthly basis.
• Assistance to the wider Revenue Team as required.
• Comply with all relevant legal and regulatory obligations including the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) Standards and Regulations, and Principles.
Skills and Experience
• Revenue and credit control experience, ideally within the legal sector
• Ideally experience in the use of CMS or Elite
• Experience of reviewing and updating bad debt provision on a monthly basis
• Conscientious and methodical with excellent attention to detail
• Flexible and hands on attitude
• Strong communication skills with the ability to deal with partners and fee earners at all levels
• Proactive and demonstrable experience of using initiative
• Ability to work autonomously
• Working together
• Integrity and respect
• Personal impact and growth
• Driving high standards
• Commercial mindset
• Client - centric
• Responsible Business