Pro Bono Associate
Charles Russell Speechlys works with clients in the UK and throughout the world. Our lawyers are based in 11 locations across the UK, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, through each of these locations, clients are able to access the full range of the Firm's skills and expertise. We have an unusually broad range of skills and experience across the full spectrum of business and personal needs. This gives us a wider perspective, clear insight and a strongly commercial long-term view.
Our Pro Bono Practice
Pro Bono is part of our core practice as a firm. We treat our pro bono clients as we do our paying clients and support all our lawyers to get involved - at all levels of seniority and whatever their area of expertise. We provide free legal advice to help disadvantaged groups get access to justice and to support charities and social enterprises providing vital services.
• We train and deploy our lawyers for 2-week secondments to the Greek islands of Lesvos and Samos to help asylum-seekers navigate the asylum process.
• We were the first commercial law firm in the UK to launch a pro bono legal clinic by webcam to reach people outside London where pro bono help is scarce. The webcam project - Highly Commended at the LawWorks Awards 2019 - has provided the basis for us and other firms to run pro bono advice clinics during the COVID-19 shutdown.
• A partner-led team from across our UK offices represents disabled people at the First-Tier Tribunal to appeal the withdrawal of disability benefits.
• We are proud partners of Social Business Trust, providing pro bono legal support to help its small charity investees increase their reach and social impact.
• We provide free commercial legal advice on an ongoing basis to a wide range of charities and innovative social enterprises. Recently we have worked pro bono for:
− A domestic violence shelter to secure a new lease of premises
− A charity supporting blind and visually impaired people to manage the sale of works of art left to the charity in a will
− A youth charity to establish a new social-enterprise café and training hub
− A social enterprise that trains homeless people as Baristas on its data protection compliance
− A child literacy charity on the terms and conditions for its volunteer training app
− A charity that supports people with mental health challenges to succeed in the workplace with its employment handbook and policies
− A charity that collects surplus, in-date produce that cannot be sold and uses it to provide healthy meals for people in the local community who are homeless, socially isolated or dealing with mental illness
You can read more about our Social Impact Programme and Pro Bono activities on our website and download our Responsible Business Report 2020.
Please could all candidates submit a covering letter along with your CV.
The Pro Bono Associate will help to develop our Award-winning bono practice across our UK and international offices.
This role will be permanent and full-time. Charles Russell Speechlys encourages and provides the latest technology to facilitate agile working.
The Pro Bono Associate will work closely with and report to our Director of Responsible Business & Pro Bono. Other key relationships will include:
• Partners, Associates and Trainees across all the Firm’s business divisions and practice groups;
• The Senior and Managing Partners;
• Other members of the Responsible Business Team: the Diversity and Inclusion Manager, Community Investment Manager and Responsible Business Team Assistants;
• The Business Development and Marketing & Communications teams
Key Tasks (this is a broad but not exhaustive list):
• Supporting the development and implementation of an ambitious strategy at the Firm for positive social impact through pro bono work.
• Working with potential charity partners and relevant practice groups to identify and scope new and innovative pro bono projects for lawyers at the Firm.
• Managing pro bono projects, including:
o Ensuring high standards of compliance, client care and risk management;
o Reviewing and responding to requests and referrals for pro bono advice;
o Placing pro bono projects with suitably qualified lawyers;
o Managing relationships with relevant charity and non-profit legal advice centre project partners;
o Overseeing the training of lawyers at the firm for pro bono initiatives
For a detailed specification please download the job description in the documents section of this page.
Clicking 'apply' will direct you to the application tracking system, hosted for us by Reach-ATS.com.