Head of Trusts
It is an exciting time to join Charles Russell Speechlys!
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced trust manager to join as Head of our Trusts. This role sits within the Private Client Division and includes the management of a caseload of UK Trust clients and some personal wealth clients.
The successful candidate will work closely with partners, associates and also members of our growing Trust Administration team. The Trust Administration team itself deals with a wide range of trust administration work, including charities, and sits within the firm’s market-leading Tax, Trusts and Succession Practice Group.
The Tax, Trusts and Succession Group is one of the largest practice groups in the firm with annual revenue of just over £23 million. It includes around 95 individuals at all stages in their careers. The role will report directly to Charles Hutton, Partner.
The role will suit someone who has a strong track record of administering a wide range of trusts and has experience of managing a team of people. This team is widely recognised for its expertise in this area.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Supervise and manage the members of the Trust team, which includes being responsible for the structure of the team, the way the work is
carried out, providing technical support, listening to and trying to resolve problems that arise day to day
• Involved in the interviewing and recruitment of staff for the Trust team
• Act as appraiser and reviewer of staff performance within the Trust team, under the firm’s appraisal system
• Provide continual on the job training and guidance for those members of the Trust team who need it
• Provide technical support for the Trust team as required
• Liaise with partners regarding client and staff matters
• Managing your own caseload, client relationships and engaging with all those that may be involved with any given matter, including trustees, beneficiaries and other advisers
• Pro-actively managing your clients to ensure any tax-planning and/or succession planning issues are considered and acted upon when
• Management of relationships between grant-making and applicant charities, dealing with prospective beneficiaries, drafting deeds and
• Overseeing and contributing towards the timely preparation of trust accounts and tax returns including inheritance tax returns and dealing
with HM Revenue and Customs as required
• Calculating trustees’ liabilities to IHT, CGT and Income Tax and making use of annual exemptions
• Preparing for and attending trustees’ meetings and taking minutes of those meetings
• Dealing with payments and distributions from trusts, both capital and discretionary income distributions
• Activating investment reviews
• Monitoring the performance of investment portfolios
• Preparing and reviewing trustees’ investment policy statements
• Reviewing and interpreting trust deeds and related documentation with input from the wider team, as appropriate
• Review all income tax and capital gains tax trust returns prepared by the team prior to sending to trustees for signature and submission
online to HMRC
• Keeping managers and partners regularly updated with progress on assignments and assisting with billing
You will have a lot of client contact and be expected to take part in client meetings and liaise independently with clients, beneficiaries, banks, investment managers and other professional advisers such as valuers and accountants.
• Demonstrate excellent client and staff management skills
• Be willing to share knowledge and experience with colleagues
• Be organised and have the authority to tackle difficult issues as and when they arise
• Be capable of running a significant number of files and work matters simultaneously
For a detailed specification please download the job description in the documents section of this page.
Clicking 'apply' will direct you to the application tracking system, hosted for us by Reach-ATS.com.