Charles Russell Speechlys was formed by a merger in 2014 between Charles Russell and Speechly Bircham. Both firms had a rich and varied history stretching back over 150 years.
Today, we have 167 partners, and a total of 500 lawyers. With our headquarters in London, our office network stretches from the South of England to the Middle East, and our relationships and networks extend further - throughout the United States and the Caribbean to Africa and beyond.
1 Managing Partner: James Carter
1 Senior Partner: Christopher Page
9 Offices across 2 continents
10 Industry sectors
For those interested in how we got to where we are, below is a brief summary of our history to date:
- 1891 Charles Russell and Co. was founded by Charles, son of Lord Russell of Killowen (MP and later Attorney-General under Prime Minister Gladstone and Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales)
- 1974 Speechly Bircham was formed by a merger between Speechly, Mumford & Soames and Bircham & Co. The origins of these firms lay in Dalrymple, Drake & Co. (founded by – Francis Thomas Bircham in 1845) and Speechly & Co (founded in 1875 by Thomas Speechly)
- 1980s Charles Russell merged with Williams & James and Peake & Co., both founded in the 1760s
- 1990s Speechly Bircham took over the Holborn-based practice of Baileys Shaw & Gillett and Charles Russell merged with Baldocks in Guildford
- 2000s Charles Russell opened its first two international offices in Geneva (2006) and Bahrain (2007)
- 2009 Speechly Bircham merged with Campbell Hooper
- 2011 Speechly Bircham opened its first two international offices in Luxembourg and Zurich
- 2013 Charles Russell opened its second office in the Middle East, in Qatar, and Speechly Bircham opened offices in Geneva and Paris
- 2014 Merger of Charles Russell and Speechly Bircham