David is joint head of the Construction Engineering & Projects group at Charles Russell Speechlys.
He advises employers, contractors, and consultants on a wide range of building and civil engineering matters, both domestically and internationally. He also advises the firm’s private clients on high value residential construction projects.
David has a wide experience of working on the various forms of standard conditions such as JCT, ICE, NEC, MF/1, IChemE and FIDIC, as well as numerous bespoke forms of construction contract.
He advises on the full scope of construction issues ranging from procurement/contract strategies through to dispute avoidance/resolution.
In his international work, David is particularly focussed on the Middle East region, working closely with Charles Russell Speechlys' Manama and Doha offices, to which he is a regular visitor.
He has delivered training on FIDIC and the IChemE international contracts in both the UK and throughout the Middle East region, including in Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and Syria.
David has had articles and commentary published in Building and Construction News, and is an editor of Partnering and Collaborative Working (published by Informa Professional) and a contributing author of E-commerce: A Guide to the Law of Electronic Business (published by Butterworths).
Before practising as a solicitor, David worked in the oil and gas industry and then at the construction bar in London. He is ranked as a Band 1 partner in Chambers 2016 for Construction.
David is admitted to practise as a solicitor in England and Wales.
- Advising the Bahrain Government’s Ministry of Transport & Telecommunications on the US $600m redevelopment of Bahrain’s airport in Manama
- Advising a Bahrain based business on the drafting and negotiation of an EPC contract for the development of the largest downstream aluminium facilities in the Middle East for rolling, cutting and fabricating aluminium
- Training a leading Middle East based waste water company on the use of IChemE international model form contracts
- Acting for a leading UK care home provider on the development of its new care homes across the UK
- Advising on a £250m redevelopment of a major UK science facility