Ian is a sports lawyer with expertise in a wide range of areas including sponsorship agreements, financial regulation of sport (including salary caps and financial fair play), mergers and acquisitions in sport, financing, governance, rules and regulations, transfers, player contracts and image rights. He is joint head of the Sport group at Charles Russell Speechlys.
Ian is a contributing author to a number of leading textbooks including “Sport: Law and Practice”, "The Sports Law Review" and "The Negotiator’s Fieldbook". He contributes to legal journals on sports law issues and writes an intermittent column for The Guardian newspaper. He regularly speaks at conferences (domestic and international) and lectures on the BASL/DMU Post-Graduate Certificate in Sports Law and University College Dublin's Masters in Sports Management.
Ian is admitted to practise in England & Wales, Ireland and New York.
- Advising Farhad Moshiri on the acquisition of 49.9% of Everton FC
- Advising a wide range of footballers including Cesc Fabregas, Raheem Sterling, Thierry Henry and many others on transfers, player contracts, image rights and sponsorship agreements
- Advising Nike on some of its most high profile kit sponsorship deals
- Advising Premiership Rugby on its Salary Cap and a range of regulatory work
- Advising Paddy Power Betfair plc on brand and sponsorship issues including its tongue-in-cheek marketing campaigns
- Advising football clubs including Everton FC, Middlesbrough FC and Brighton & Hove Albion FC
- Advising Red and White Holdings Limited on its shareholding in Arsenal FC
- Advising financial institutions on receivables financing in football
- Advising other governing bodies and leagues including Welsh Rugby Union, FIBA, Scottish FA, GBGB and the Indian Super League