We would like to place strictly necessary cookies and performance cookies on your computer to improve our website service.
To find out more about how we use cookies and how you can change your cookies settings, please read our  cookies statement.                
Otherwise, we'll assume you are OK to continue.   Please close this message

Parental Responsibility

If you are married parents or the unmarried mother of a child you will have parental responsibility for your child.

If you are a father of a child born after 1 December 2003 and your name is on the birth certificate or if you have signed a parental responsibility agreement you will have parental responsibility. This encompasses all the rights and responsibilities for the important decisions in a child’s life such as their education, religion, health treatment and which country they are in etc. 

Parental responsibility is not lost on separation, divorce or the dissolution of civil partnership.
If you do not have parental responsibility, and cannot reach an agreement that you should have it, we can make an application to court for you. Having parental responsibility or not will not affect the financial arrangements for your child.