We would like to place strictly necessary cookies and performance cookies on your computer to improve our website service.
To find out more about how we use cookies and how you can change your cookies settings, please read our  cookies statement.                
Otherwise, we'll assume you are OK to continue.   Please close this message

Financial Claims & Orders on Divorce

If you are separating you will need to resolve your financial arrangements for the future. 

If you have been married or in a civil partnership you should obtain a court order setting out your future financial arrangements. In the majority of cases this is obtained by agreement with the help of legal advisers. In some cases where agreement cannot be reached a Judge will make a decision. 

In order to try to reach an agreement you can use a variety of methods. You can negotiate yourselves, negotiate through solicitors, use the court financial process, or the mediation or collaborative law processes.

The first step in resolving financial arrangements will be for you and us to identify what assets and income streams either or both of you have including business interests and interests under trusts. You will also have to identify what liabilities and outgoings you and your family have bearing in mind you will be living in two separate households.

Once it is clear what financial resources the family has then we can help you to assess what would be a fair arrangement for the future.
The court is able to make orders covering a wide range of scenarios, including the following types of orders: dealing with property that either of you own; cash payments to be made by one of you to the other, maintenance to be paid to one or other of you or for the children (although this is not always contained in a court order because the Child Support Agency can deal with this if a couple cannot agree), for school fees to be paid, or for a pension to be shared.